Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Pow Wow

Last week Meredith's school put on a "Pow Wow" for the parents. Meredith was very excited to call Grandma to invite her and kept talking about how she was coming to see the program - even when I dropped her off that morning, after her teacher said good morning, Meredith replied "My Grandma is coming today!"

The kids all had headdresses and necklaces and new Indian names - Meredith's was Yellow Daisy. She made sure to tell me that her real name was still Meredith, she would just be Yellow Daisy during the Pow Wow. They paraded into the room, then sat while one of the teachers told a story about the lives of Indians. The story included a song that the kids acted out for us that was very cute.
Yellow Daisy parading in!
Waving to her fans!
When we first got to school, Jillian was not very happy that we were not going down to Meredith's room - I guess she thought it was time for her to come home to play! But once it got started, Jillian loved the program - she spent the majority of it waving and talking to her sister who was across the room.
Listening to the story
Acting out how to walk very quietly when hunting during the song
Then each of the classes had prepared some songs to perform. The Turtle class seemed to have a tiny bit of stage fright, but they did a super cute job with their songs, too!
Meredith and her friend, Kelsey singing one of the Turtle's songs
"I love my mom and I love my dad, but don't let those turkeys look so sad..."
After this part, they do a cute dance complete with making their hands into "tailfeathers" and singing "Turkey, Turkey, Turkey makes me go berserkey, berserkey, berserkey..." While turning in a circle!
Yellow Daisy with her class
A fun break in the tee pee
The Turtles

The kids then paraded back out and Jillian tried to follow Meredith out. When she couldn't go too, the very sad sister, showed how she felt! She sure loves her sister! Luckily, we talked Meredith into skipping the end of school with us to go grab some lunch - making everyone very happy!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SO fun! I love the last pic of Jillian! I can't wait for Wyatt to have "programs" at school! I probably shouldn't say that b/c it will come too fast :)