Sunday, January 2, 2011

What a New Year's Day!

Spending the day in the ER with a sick baby isn't quite what we had planned for how to celebrate the first day of 2011, but...

Jillian came down with a really nasty stomach bug on Wednesday of last week, she was probably the sickest I have ever seen her (or even Meredith for that matter). She spent the whole day on Thursday like a little doll in my arms. I hated that she was so sick, but I really loved getting to just hold her and cuddle her! Luckily Neal was home, she he scooped Meredith up and they went ice skating while Jillian and I just relaxed. After talking to the doctor, who warned me that this could last 72 hours, I was thrilled that she was almost back to normal around dinner time - demanding to "EAT!" and being silly and playing. She did great all day on New Year's Eve, too, so we kept our plans to hang out with friends and Gigi offered to let Jillian stay with her. The next morning, when I called my mom, she told me that Jillian had been throwing up all night again. We went to go get her and she was really miserable. She threw up more and would just say "Oww!" over and over. Then I started getting concerned, when she just started crying uncontrollably for about 30 minutes - and realized that she cried no tears. And she hadn't had a wet diaper since early that morning. I called the doctor and they advised us to go to the ER. We headed to Cooks, got there and were pretty quickly sent back to a room. Of course, as soon as we paid our co-pay, Jillian started acting chipper again! After the nurse watched her high-five him and giggle, I think we got moved down on the priority list because we then sat in the actual patient room long enough to watch Tinkerbell and Bolt in their entirety. It was much better than being out in the waiting room though!

They tried every trick they had to get Jillian to drink fluids - but every option we gave her (including popsicles!) received a big defiant "NO!" They decided to do some blood work, and thankfully, her electrolytes came back great. So then, they said we could go, but they wanted her to drink something first. She absolutely refused! Just before they came to check on us, she had her first wet diaper of the day, which made them feel good enough, I guess to let us go...but with lots of instructions on how to try to get some fluid in this little girl.

So far, today she has done really well - drinking more (of course, she won't do Pedialyte or Gatorade like they would like, but only wants either Capri Sun or Apple Juice. Oh well, I decided a liquid is a liquid when we are at this point!) So, I am just praying that this doesn't creep back up on her again or that it doesn't hit anyone else in the family! Please, oh, please!!

No comments: