Monday, February 13, 2012

Barbie Seamstress

One of the things that Meredith was most excited to ask for at Christmastime was a sewing machine. We found her a cute Hello Kitty one and she was super excited to try it out. After we got it all set up, we made a bag with the materials that came with the machine. I quickly realized that my machine is way easier to use than trying to get her to use this one, so I was a little hesitant to try it out again. But, Meredith was not going to give up that easily! She decided she wanted to make a dress for her Barbie. We used the fabric I used to make her a dress to be a Hula girl. We made measured a Barbie dress we already had and then cut the fabric like I did for Meredith's bigger dress. We started to use Meredith's machine again, but when I realized that threading it was going to take me an hour, I convinced her that I would show her how to use the real thing! So we pinned the fabric, and I fed the fabric while she pushed the foot pedal. Then she used a little embellisher that came with her machine to add a cute heart to the front. We were pretty proud of our work, although I realized that I maybe should have added a little length. Oh well, we'll find Barbie some leggings or something!
Showing off her skills - and the Mommy Daughter sewing machine set-up in the background.
A little closer up to show detail - and lots of leg!

No comments: