Thursday, November 3, 2011

Happy Halloween!

After a good night's sleep my Hippo and Turtle were ready for more Halloween fun! So, first we did a little photo shoot, then headed to our Playgroup's Halloween party!
When we set out to look for a turtle costume, all I could find was Ninja Turtles. I started to brainstorm making my own turtle costume, but I wasn't sure that I was going to be happy with my skills. Luckily, Gigi came to the rescue when she spotted this very cute turtle costume at Target - why hadn't I seen it before? Because it is actually a costume for a large dog! When we added lots of other green pieces including feet and hands (my handmade contribution) Meredith couldn't have been happier!

I actually found a super cute pink hippo costume online, which I thought would have been harder than a turtle. But about 3 weeks out, all 4 sites that showed the costume as not available. I got a little nervous and started down the path to plan b. I found this super cute winter hat on Etsy and fell in love. Plus it was purple, which is really what she was wanting, so it was a no-brainer! I ordered it, then bought similar purple accessories to what I got for Meredith. Then I made her hands and feet just like Meredith's. The night before Gigi's carnival, I decided to add a pink belly to her leotard. Half way through, I realized that I had sewn the front to the back and then ripped it when trying to take out the seam. Talk about stress! I ran up to Target at 9:30, only to find they were sold out of the leotard. The Hippo Fairy was smiling down on me though, because I found this jacket and I think I actually like it better than what I had to begin with. Whew. I added the tummy and then also decided she needed a tail. I was pretty happy with the result. (And I was also quietly saying prayers of thanksgiving that I had not attempted to make both of these costumes completely!)
Before heading off to our party, the girls practiced their trick or treating at our door - I had a little goody bag for each of them and included this book for Jillian - all about a little girl that goes off to be the princess of a land of hippos (and the head hippo is purple!) how perfect!
Here is our playgroup all decked out! We had a few kiddos leave before I thought to do this, but we have a pretty cute group. Look at Spiderman Jackson with his arm around Jillian - too sweet!

Had to get a pic of Jillian and Elliott - both of these little guys separately demanded they be hippos for Halloween - how cute is that!
Caleb was a super cute "fire guy" for Halloween and his mom made him this fantastic firetruck to wear. All the kids wanted a turn wearing it too. When Jillian had her chance, she declared she was "Fire Hippo!"

We headed home in hopes of naps, but I don't think that happened! After trying, we went to Bubbie and Grandad's for some Trick or Treating, then to Gigi and Papa's. As is our tradition, Landon and Meredith' friend Katie joined us. Then as a special treat Caleb came too! We all had lots of pizza then headed out in my parent's neighborhood. The kids had lots of fun and got way more candy than we could ever eat (but we'll still try!)
Jillian and Caleb were excited to start off the night in the wagon

No comments: