Sunday, June 29, 2014

Jillian's first lost tooth

As an added bonus to Staycation week, the girls and I had dentist appointments (fun, right?) and we all got good reports until they found that Jillian had an abscessed tooth.  This little thing has fallen and hit her mouth about 100 times in her life - each time, I would run to her, expecting her tooth to be knocked out, because surely we couldn't have avoided this that many times!  But it always held strong.  It had darkened, though, so we knew that it was dead, but until this appointment, the dentist had felt that it was just fine where it was.  However, with a tooth abscess, it was time for it to come out.  We scheduled a second appointment for a pediatric dentist, who happens to be a friend from church.  Jillian was very nervous, but she held strong through the whole appointment.  They gave her an antibiotic to kill the infection and we were to come back the following week.  With Jillian off safely playing Dr. Ketchel told me that the tooth would have to be extracted, but that there was no reason Jillian had to know that until it happened.  So, she just told her that she would come back and Dr. Ketchel would wiggle to see if her tooth was ready on its own.  Jillian sort of bought this.  But I was not entirely convinced we would survive tooth extraction day (have I mentioned that at her 5 year check up she screamed bloody murder when they tried to test her hearing by just putting a little thing up to her ear????) but if she didn't go for this method of laughing gas, we would have to actually put her under, which I did not want to do for her benefit as well as the benefit of our wallets! So, I promised that if she let Dr. Ketchel do everything she needed to do without throwing a fit, she could go to Target and buy a Sofia the First toy that she had been eyeing forever!  She was still cautious, but was excited that she might get her toy.

The night before her appointment, Meredith had a sleepover with a friend so that I could just take Jillian, but knowing Jillian would feel left out, I planned a sleepover for us!


The day of Jillian did great!  She was able to watch Frozen while the doctor worked on her tooth, and only flinched a few times and said "ouch!" maybe once!  I was so proud!  She was freaked out by the blood after, especially when we went for donuts after!  But then we picked up Meredith and headed to Target where brave Jillian got her toy!
She was pretty proud of herself!

So, then that night, we of course got ready for the tooth fairy!
While I was getting my camera ready, she stole my phone - so I got a silly picture of her first!




These happy faces were only made happier when she woke up to the glittery $5 that the tooth fairy left in her tooth pillow!





No comments: