Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A crazy week - and it is only Tuesday!



So Miss Meredith gave us a bit of a scare - she was crying like crazy on Sunday and would just randomly fall down then she would crawl instead of walk - this kept happening so I finally called the on-call nurses who assured me that it sounded like an ear infection and thought it could wait until Monday morning. I made an appointment as soon as I got to work and then took Meredith in around lunch time. The doctor said her ears looked great but were concerned, especially about the crawling. She had Meredith walk to me in the hallway to check out her legs. The doctor looks at me and says "She is limping - don't you see it?" Making sure I didn't sound like a bad mom, I say "Yeah, I guess she is walking a little funny." But what I was really thinking is - Meredith always has a funny little walk! I love that funny little walk! She watched her a bit longer and decided there might be a fracture in her leg. So we were sent off to a radiologists office for X-rays!

The radiologists were a bit perplexed that I could not tell them the source of her "pain" - not only could I not narrow down the point on her leg that might have this "fracture", I had no clue which leg would even be the culprit. So they had to do like 100 x-rays! Meredith was a trooper - she was obviously scared and cried, but she was really very patient for what we were asking her to do - I tried to sing to her and hold her hand, but I also had to hold her leg in funny positions, which I felt terrible about because I was thinking if something was broken, I could really be hurting her!

I had to wait until this morning - I tried to be patient, but finally called around 9:30, to which I was told by the nurse "You will probably hear today" - what probably today? I think then I lost a bit of my patience and she promised to have someone call me. The did just a bit later and great news - her legs are "perfect"! Probably a minor sprain or just an ache. So I am just supposed to watch her and she should be getting better. I would say that the little girl that I watched prance around the zoo today is feeling much much better, so I am not too worried. If we see anything stick around, we will go back on Monday for blood work to just check her out some more.

I felt so bad after that not fun day that we went ahead on a pre-planned trip to the zoo (I figured if I didn't go, I would just worry the whole time we were gone and that if we heard something while we were there, I could easily leave to go back to the doctor if we needed to). She goes to the zoo quite a bit with Gigi and our friends Jannea and Katie (Katie is 3 1/2) so she loves it! As soon as we turn onto the bridge from University, she yells "Animals" until we park. She was very excited to get to take her wagon with her so that she and Katie could tour the zoo in style. As an extra treat Aunt Katie and Landon came along for his first trip to the zoo. We had tons of fun! Meredith's favorite part is the carousel and the train ride and she was sad to leave at the end of the day, but we got some really good pictures thanks to Aunt Katie's new camera! Here are a few of my favorites...


Sharing a kiss with the Komodo Dragon


Can you tell that a fear of birds flying at your face runs in the Hanks family??

Does this look like a girl that might have had a broken leg?

Landon enjoying his first trip to the zoo and his first ride on the carousel

Meredith, the carousel pro, shows Landon how it is done!

4 comments:

Katie Geurin said...

we had a blast with yall yesterday and look forward to more outings!

Marc and Julie said...

Yay! Glad to have you in the blogging world! Now I can see pictures for the too many months that pass between each time we actually see you guys. Glad Meredith is ok. Let's get together soon!!

Ginny V said...

Meredith is too cute! I am so glad you have a blog so we can keep up with you better!!

Megan said...

I'm so glad she turned out to be okay!! Wasn't that the day she played w/ Ramsey? I hope that didn't make it worse!