Tuesday, September 21, 2010

This past weekend Neal and I took a long-awaited trip to San Francisco to see our good friends, Josh and Liz. We were excited for a little time to ourselves but it was by far the longest we have been away from Jillian and it had been quite awhile since we had been away from Meredith so long too. Luckily we had lots of family that took great care of them!

The first day we were there, Neal and I just played tourists while Josh and Liz worked. We reminisced about the days when we traveled like that all the time (read: pre-kids!) and had a blast. We hit up Fisherman's Wharf, shopped a bit in Chinatown, had lunch at In-n-Out Burger, and took a Bay Cruise. I was really excited to take the cruise and see Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge. Unfortunately, it was so foggy we didn't see a TON. Actually we could only see the bridge when we were directly under it - which made it really kind of creepy! By the time we circled Alcatraz, the fog had lifted a bit, so we got a better view. But all-in-all, it was just great feeling the cool breeze and seeing the sights that we could see.

Look - it is me with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background. I promise.
Here is the best view of the bridge I saw while on the cruise.
Glasses were not a great option on the boat - that wasn't rain, just the build-up from the fog...
But look - now we can actually see Alcatraz!

We then took our very-tired feet back to Josh and Liz's apartment to get ready for dinner. They took us to a great place that overlooks the ocean in hopes of seeing the sunset. Because of the fog, we didn't get to experience that, but it was still a great view! And everyone humored me after dinner and let me run down on the beach for a few minutes before it got too cold.
My fun sandcastle shaped chocolate dessert! It was yummy and oh-so-rich!

Saturday we started off another fun day with Liz and Josh by having brunch at a place that Neal has told me about constantly since he went out to see Josh last, called Crepevine. He was sold on it when he got to have crepes and ice cream for breakfast. I tried out some amazing French Toast, which always means it is a great day, if you ask me!

Can you tell how excited he was to have his breakfast/ice cream?

The rest of the day we spent touring around some fun neighborhoods, seeing some museums, and just enjoying the sites. Then we made sure to be near a TV to watch the Longhorn game! Liz and I were pretty pleased with the outcome, since it allowed the guys to enjoy the rest of the evening much better!

On Sunday, we headed out to Sonoma to visit a few wineries. This was probably the part of the trip I was most looking forward to since I had never been to a winery! We first went to Iron Horse, which is one that Josh and Liz go to often and are members of. We tasted some pretty great wines and the view was magnificent!



Beautiful views. Great company. Delicious wine.
Our second winery stop - Joseph Swan.

We were definitely sad to leave, but when we got back and heard Meredith's excited squeals, we were glad to be home to her. Jillian was already in bed, but I snuck in and rocked her for a bit, under the ruse that she would want to know I was home!

Thanks for the great weekend Josh and Liz - we had a blast!



No comments: