Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Big Milestone for my Big Girl

For anyone that knows Jillian - or has viewed a picture or two of her on here, you know that she is a paci girl. She loves her paci. From just a day old, I knew that I was going to let her have one because she wanted to eat every second. When I gave her the paci, she was happy. And that continued for the next 2 years. It got to the point that seeing her without a paci was weird.

About a month ago, we left a paci at church and we were on our way to Bubbie's for lunch, so we needed to stop off to get one for her. Neal decided those were the last we were going to buy. Then on Saturday, he took the girls out and somewhere along their path, she lost her paci. I figured we had more somewhere, but when nap time came around, none could be found. When we told her, she was really sad - she wanted her "BaBa". But, I just told her it was hiding. I held her hand and laid down on the floor next to her until she fell asleep (which actually didn't take too long, considering). When she got up from nap, she came in to see Neal and said, while laughing "Dada, BaBa hiding!" The rest of the day she asked for it again (especially in the car), bu we just continued to tell her it was still hiding. At bedtime, she asked for "BaBa" again, but actually didn't need extra help going to sleep!

Jillian's first Paci-free night!

She still occasionally laughs and tells us "BaBa hiding!" And there are, of course, the moments at nap and bed, and a time or two when she got hurt, that she has asked for it, but for the most part, she is doing so well! And even though that first night going to sleep was pretty easy, we have had a couple of rougher nights. She has been a little under-the-weather, too, so I am not sure if it is the lack of the paci or how she is feeling. Tonight, after lots of tears and refusals of bed, I (somewhat frustratedly) said "Jillian, what do you need???" And she just sadly said, "Baba." Poor thing! I just told her how proud I was of her for being such a big girl and gave her lots of hugs. I can't imagine just never having something anymore that I had always had and loved. But, again, she is doing so great - what a big girl!!

No comments: