Monday, April 16, 2012

Hippo birthday cookies

Jillian got to celebrate her birthday in her class with special cookies.  When the note went home telling us we could bring snack, I asked her what she would like.  Of course, she said "Hippo cookies!"  I actually found a friend that had a hippo cookie cutter and set out to work on these cookies.  First, I will say, I am not a huge fan of making sugar cookies because of the rolling out of dough, the big old mess, and the fact that in the end there is no chocolate in them, which just seems like a waste! :) I bought the dough to save a step, but I guess the stores had a run on the stuff because it was right after Easter - so first big tip-off that I should have run from this project was that I had to go to 3 stores to be able to find the dough!  Then when I baked the first batch, the cute little hippos had mophed into bloated pigs.  Meredith reassured me that she still thought I was a great chef - even if they looked like "prairie dogs." Whatever.  I made two batches of these things in order to get 15 that looked hippo-ish.  I also used all the purple sprinkles that I planned to use on her cupcakes for her party.  But they were done.  After dinner that night, I gave one to Jillian, who took two bites before telling me they were yucky.  (I assure you they were not - I may have tried 1, or well, maybe 6 while cursing over the fat pig-looking hippos). I was deflated.  I didn't want her to not even eat her special snack!  She then told me she wanted chocolate chip cookies.  I am either the best mom ever or a push over, because I headed back to the store to buy chocolate chips and baked some more.  Then, of course, we had all these hippos sitting at the house. So, I packaged them up and took them to send home with her school friends.  Ugghhh...oh well!
 Showing off the "yucky" hippo cookies ready for her friends

Oh, hippo cookies, how I was glad to see you gone from my house!

No comments: