Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Lite FM Christmas

Meredith became an official Christmas music groupie this Christmas season. It started the week before Thanksgiving, with her announcing to me in the car that "they" were already playing Christmas songs on the radio, so I needed to find the station, please. For the next month, my radio never strayed from either 103.7 or 94.9 so we could hear lots and lots of Christmas. Then, for better or worse, I introduced her to the radio function on her clock radio one day, and from then on, she also insisted that she listen to "Lite FM" as she went to sleep and during rest time (often at a pretty high volume, too!) Soon, she could sing just about any song that came on the radio, would randomly spout out obscure lyrics, and would exclaim "This is my favorite song" to song, after song (including the Galleria Mall jingle.)

Pretty soon, Meredith started asking where Lite FM was every time we were in the car. We dug up this information to share with her. Then she moved on to asking when we could go there so we could sing on the radio. So, what do you say to that? I started just changing the subject, hoping she would move on. But, even now, days after Christmas, she still talks about it. She even had it all planned out. We were going to sing a song based on a book from Gigi's house (that they also had a school) "Small One" - I still don't know for sure if there is actually a song in the book or if she wanted us to make one up? She was insistent that we would need to get a second book because I wouldn't know how to sing the song. She also knew that Jillian would probably need to nap, so we would leave Daddy at home with her so that just she and I could go. In the midst of all this planning and me avoiding the questions and planning of this trip to Lite FM, we heard the Chipmunks song on the radio. Very inquisitively, she asks "How do THEY get to Lite FM?" I realized then that she thought that all these songs were being sung live in the studio! So I explained that hey were just playing the song on a CD over the radio. She kind of giggled and said "Oh, well I didn't think it was the real chipmunks, but maybe there were people dressed up like them singing!"

I started panicking a day or so before Christmas when her obsession with singing on the radio had not subsided. Luckily, when I started to try to let her down, she stopped me and said "Well, maybe we can go do it next year!" Yes, next year...until then, I can come up with a good diversion!

Then, as we were getting ready for bed last night, I was on the verge of such a sweet moment with my little girl. She sighed and said "I was just remembering about Christmas..." It was such a sweet statement, so I decided to probe her a bit - maybe she would say she was remembering the times with family, the baking, even all the Christmas songs or some of our traditions....I of course, was also ready to hear that she was remembering her favorite presents. Instead, when I asked "What were you remembering?" And she replied "When Santa called Christine Cook!" In case you weren't an avid listener to Lite FM, like we were, she was referring to a mattress commercial where Santa and the president of the mattress store talked about getting Santa a new mattress. Now, there is a Christmas memory for years to come! :)

2 comments:

Krista said...

Meredith is SO Neal's daughter. :-)

The Potters said...

That is SO funny!!