Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Meredith, the Kindergartner

My Meredith started Kindergarten just 2 days after her birthday.  As much as I tried to convince her that maybe one more year of pre-k would be fun, she had her heart set on going, so....off we went!  We had been praying about teachers and we were blessed with one that I have heard nothing but fantastic things about since we found out that her teacher is Mrs. Hoelscher.  We are so excited that she will get to spend her first year in big school with this sweet and talented teacher.  

The last few weeks before school started, I had my mind other places - getting home from our trip, preparing for a women's retreat that I got to speak at, planning a birthday party, and even just the little details of school supplies and new clothes, that I really hadn't let the fact that my baby - the one that made me a mama, was now going to be going off into the big world, so I had remained pretty rational about the whole thing.  I even remember being in the car the week before our last week of summer and I had the thought that maybe I actually wouldn't cry when I dropped her off.  That was a Thursday.  The next day, Neal and I went to spend the weekend with our friends, the Spitzenbergers, in Plano, on our drive there, it started.  I lost it - he had brought up something unrelated to Kinder, but it set my waterworks going!  Julie and I comforted each other a bit (since Anna was starting, too) so I made it until we got home. Then it officially started.  Almost anything would make me start to cry.  It just seemed like she was going to be gone from me for SO long, that we would not have time to do things that we loved to do (the reason that I spent a whole carousel ride at the mall wiping away tears - especially when Meredith ended the ride telling me, "Mommy, this is the last time we'll get to ride the carousel together like this!"), that she was now going to have so much influence from people other than us.  And she was growing up.  How could that little baby be in Kindergarten!  So, I planned lots of fun for us that last week, we went out and got pedicures together the day before school started and I just tried to hold it together around her.  She knew I was going to miss her, I just didn't want her to feel bad about leaving me an emotional basketcase!  The morning of her first day, I made sure to get a quick run in, most of the time I choked back tears.  Then we set off for getting ready!  I teared up several times but held it together mostly until we got back to the car after leaving her at school.  So, all in all, I think I did ok. I really am not sure I truly understood the moms-crying-for-kindergartners before, so this year, I have a whole new appreciation!

Here are a few shots before school






 Meredith and I decided to wear our matching green bracelets we made last year for the first day of school.  She was a bit nervous both times to start, so we started by putting everyone in our family's name on a strip of fabric and chose a Bible verse and included it as well, then we braided them.  Each of us had one to wear so that we would remember to pray for each other while we were away.  This year, this was maybe more comforting to me than to her!



Bubbie came over to watch Jillian while Neal and I took Meredith to school.  We weren't sure that Jillian was going to be all that excited about leaving Meredith either, and we wanted the day to be all about Meredith!

 As we walked up, we saw Meredith's friend, Hannah, taking her picture in front of the school's sign - we wanted to get one of the girls together.  Now her mom and I are planning to try to force them to do this for us every year - rolling eyes or not!

 At sneak-a-peek Meredith got to pick her locker - she picked one with a green name tag, of course!
 Meredith quickly found herself a green airplane puzzle and was good to go - no need for mom to stay if you ask her!  
Neal and I stood around for a bit not sure when we should go, then decided we had probably better make our exit before I decided to move in.  Meredith allowed me one more pic with her before we left!

Like I said, I made it out to the car and cried my eyes out, when I got home, I had some sweet friends plan to take me to lunch, so Jillian and I played for a bit, then headed out to meet my friends.  In the car, Jillian looks over at the empty car seat next to her and said "Where is Meriff?" I reminded her she was at school, to which she said in the saddest, sweetest, most heartbreaking voice possible "But she is my sissssttterrrrr.  And I MISSSSSS her.  It makes my heart sad." And I lost it. Again.  I assured her that I did, too, but we'd pick her up soon.  She then asked me about every ten minutes just about everyday that week when we got to go pick up Sissy from school.  Rubbing salt in my wounds. I swear. 

We were all glad to be back together at 3:15 - Jillian and I navigated the pick up procedure, and got to take Meredith and her friend, Hannah, home.  Then my girls and I went out for frozen yogurt.  Meredith loved her class and her friends - she had gotten to play at recess with Hannah (who is in a different class) but got to sit at lunch with two friends she already knew (we found out at sneak a peek that she already knew one little girl who was coming to her birthday party and then another little girl, who Meredith had not met, actually lives down the street from us, so her mom and I worked out letting her come to Meredith's party, too, so it was so great that she already had friendly faces!)

We are so excited to see all that Meredith will learn and do this year!

No comments: