Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Big Island

The next port on the cruise was Hilo.  We debated lots of activities to get off to go do, but decided to take a day to just relax and hang out on the boat.  So, we hit the gym, we sat by the pool, we ate, we read, we napped.  It was glorious!  Then, after dinner, we went to a show like Dancing with the Stars - and I got to be in the show!  Sadly (for me, most of all!) there is no photographic proof of this event.  But I got paired up with a guy that worked on the ship and we got to dance in competition with several other guest/crew couples!  I made it through round one, but somehow they let me go at round two.  Their loss! It really was fun - and was fun the rest of the week running into my partner who seemed even more embarrassed to be dancing than I did!  

 A pre Dancing with the Stars Mai Tai.  In retrospect, this drink might have been the only reason I even showed my face during the dancing part!

The following day, we headed to the other side of the island, to Kona.  We got to use tender boats to get to the port so we had a great at-sea view of our pretty ship!

Once off the big boat, we jumped aboard a Zodiak boat for a fast-paced ride, where we chased dolphin pods, first.  When we caught up to some, we all jumped out and got to snorkel with them.  I literally got to swim just a few feet above a whole family of dolphins (including a baby!) so neat!  

After we got to swim with the dolphins, we headed to a little cove where we got to do more snorkeling and see some really beautiful fish and coral.  Then our really fun boat driver took us to see all of these lava tubes and rock cliffs and shared a ton of Hawaiian history with us.









A view of the Pride of America on the way back

 Our little boat home for the morning

We got back to the shore a little after lunch and decided to go search out Kona brewing company.  Neal had tried one of their beers, Longboard, on the flight up and was a fan, so we thought a trip to the brewery was a must!  We had some really great pizza, Neal got his Longboard, and I even found a beer that I like! It is girly, but it is beer.  Neal was thrilled.

 Me and my Wailua Wheat




No comments: